I found the lump myself. Thought it might just be something leftover from nursing (infection or cyst) so I didn't do anything about it for about two weeks. But, then I was watching The Talk one day. The entire show that day was dedicated to breast cancer awareness. Watching that show took some of the fears away and convinced me to get the lump checked out. Good thing I did!
I was diagnosed with breast cancer on Halloween, October 31, 2011. To be specific: ER positive, PR positive, HER2 negative (which is good).
My diagnosis was given over the phone. My first thought was, “Really? You are really telling me this news over the phone?!” But, after I hung up I was really glad that I was sitting at my kitchen table, wearing my cozy slippers, and looking at the wonderful smile on my baby’s face! It took the sting out of the news I had just received. I was in shock and probably still am in shock. It was definitely a crappy day.
The past five days have been filled with doctors appointments, concerns and questions, an overload of information, learning a new language (the cancer language), a little bit of fear and a couple tears (still waiting for the moment I really freak out!). But, most importantly it has been filled with an abundance of care, concern, and help from friends and family.
I never thought I would be diagnosed with cancer let alone be grateful for Sharon Osbourne!!! Life is definitely filled with surprises!
I just pray that I am granted a little bit of patience and grace to get through this challenge...it’s a doozy!
Breast cancer has met its match! Our thoughts & prayers are with you and your family as you fight this disease (with your grace & patience).
ReplyDelete