Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Top 15 Things To Say to Cancer Survivors...

Sometimes you just don't know what to say!


This list came about after posting a list of the top 10 things NOT to say to cancer survivors on FB (thanks Steph)! She suggested I create a list of things that "we" would LIKE to hear.  I would add that some of these suggestions would be great to say to those that are caring for a loved one going through cancer as well.  With the help of many other Survivors here it is...


1.  "I'm sorry."
2.  "It stinks/sucks that you have to go through this."
3.  "How can I help?"
4.  "You will beat this!"
5.  "When you need someone to talk to, I am here."
6.  "Can I pick your kids up for a play date?"
7.  "I will be checking on you frequently to see how you are doing and how I can help."
8.  "When is a good time for me to come clean your house?"
9.  "Can I come to any appointments with you?"
10. "I will be keeping you in my prayers."
11. "Are you under any dietary restrictions?  I will be bringing you dinner on (insert day)."
12. It's ok to not say anything...just give a hug.  The worst thing you can do is avoid the      person!
13. "How are you feeling today?"
14. "Can I get you anything?"
15. "Are you getting the help you need?"


**Remember that going through cancer is an emotional roller coaster and she/he may need a shoulder to cry on and then some help to be lifted up, most likely on a daily basis.  Depression can be a very real challenge for many cancer survivors.  Positive thoughts, notes/cards, and prayers are always a help.  It is a tremendous help to just know people care!






No comments:

Post a Comment